Red marks on fry

Questions about the health and welfare of your fish? ask here.

Red marks on fry

Postby sjones_1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi all,

I have some 2-3 week old Gymnogepphagus balzanii fry that are starting to die off. As they are fry and small it is hard to tell what is causing it but I am hoping I can give some symptoms I’ve seen and someone can advise.

As they are still transparent you can see they develop a redening on their head/brains (between their eyes) then their eyes start to bulge. They go very thin and die shortly after. Some are also showing the red marks at the rear base of their dorsal. Up until they develop the redness they eat well and several have died with full stomachs.

Any suggestions to what it might be are greatly appreciated. I’m thinking bacterial infection but not sure how best to treat?!

There are other younger fry in the same tank but only the large balzanii fry seem to be affected.

Thanks for any help,
Sam
sjones_1

Forum Member

Re: Red marks on fry

Postby IanG » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:53 pm

I have never bred balzani but have kept them . Mine were very fussy about water conditions. I agree it is probably bacterial or velvet. I would do small daily water changes and possibly keep in a bare bottom tank so that you can keep base clean
IanG

Committee: Treasurer

BCA Membership Number: 277

Return to Aquarium Husbandry, Disease Cures & Prevention