White spot, Itch. Help Please

Questions about the health and welfare of your fish? ask here.

White spot, Itch. Help Please

Postby AndyPatch » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi new to the forum and first time post. I'm new to the hobby of fish keeping (6 months) and have a juwel 180 vision tank that is now housing 32 Malawi fish. I have taken out the internal filter and replaced with a aquamanta 1000u external filter which I done a while back as wanted to improve filteration (I initially run them side by side before removing internal filter). I now seem to have an outbreak of white spot which I believe possibly came from my last lot of fish I added to the tank which was about a week and a half ago. These particular fish I had delivered from an online retailer where as the previous Malawi I had brought from a local store. First thing I noted when taking delivery was that the fish did not look to healthy when I opened the box they came in. The water they were in was very cold and this had probably stressed them out. Anyway I added the fish to the tank and all seemed fine after a while. I then noticed that some of the fish started to hang around the filter outlet and were hanging around the surface of the water. So I have added a air stone to the tank and made sure it's disturbing the surface of the water along with the filter outlet pointed upwards to the surface as I was concerned that there was a lack of dissolved oxygen. I do regular water tests for the usual ammonia/nitrite etc and everything is fine on that front.

I have now noticed that 5 of the new fish have a few tiny white like salt spots and several of my existing fish often flash themselves across the rocks. Quite a few of fish are still hanging around the filter outlet can this be a cause from white spot? I have ordered some seachem Paraguard which will be arriving tomorrow.

Sorry for the long winded post.... just any advice would be great! From what I have read I should raise the temperature once I start treating. Also should I remove any of the media in my filter?

One other thing to add is all the fish are still eating bar one of the new red hongi's who has the odd bit but is not keen at the surface of the water like the rest.

Thanks Andy
AndyPatch

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Re: White spot, Itch. Help Please

Postby roger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Not used PArtaguard but the instructions should tell you how to use it.

One observation. You have a filter with UV, if you turn it on it should be all the treatment you need for whitespot and any other parasite with a free swimming part of its lifecycle. Raising the temperature will help.
Roger Sleet
Ornoco Aquatics http://www.orinoco-aquatics.co.uk
roger

Committee: Treasurer

BCA Membership Number: 136

Postby AndyPatch » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your advice, I have the uv turned on. Normally my tank temperature is around 78F, what would you recommend turning the temp up to roughly? I received the seachem paraguard today so I have taken out the carbon in the filter as per instructions and added the paraguard to the tank this evening. I have been observing the fish this evening and several of the fish are still hanging around the outlet of the filter and the surface of the water. Can white spot cause fish breathing problems? One of the male red hongis is only using one of his fins to swim and is less active than the others. Also I have noticed as well that quite a few of the fish have very fine lines going along their body, I don't know if this is caused when they have been brushing themselves against the rocks and substrate? Any advice will be grateful thanks.
AndyPatch

Forum Member

Postby roger » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:55 am

If the UV is normally turned on then the whitespot shouldn't have spread, the free swiming stage is killed by UV light, unless it is an old tube, they need replacing every 3000 hours.

Are you sure it is whitespot, the symptoms you describe can also be caused by Flukes, though the paraguard should kill flukes too.

For whitespot I would raise the temp to 30C, thich is 84F if my memory serves me correctly.
Roger Sleet
Ornoco Aquatics http://www.orinoco-aquatics.co.uk
roger

Committee: Treasurer

BCA Membership Number: 136

Postby AndyPatch » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:43 am

Small update, been using the paraguard since Wednesday and there has been an improvement in the fish's behaviour. Most of the red hongi's have got fin or tail rot but hopefully the paraguard will help this. I have now noticed though on the red hongi's some white blotches on their head and body. I have attached 2 pics so get peoples thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_3325[1].jpg
IMG_3328[1].jpg
AndyPatch

Forum Member

Postby stormbird » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:20 pm

could be where they have been scraping OR the start of hole in the head !
stormbird

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 593

Return to Aquarium Husbandry, Disease Cures & Prevention