maintaining Satanoperca lilith

The place to discuss cichlids from South America

Re: maintaining Satanoperca lilith

Postby eartheater3298 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:59 am

As they havnt been spawned before, I'm going to put in to the tank a variety of opportunities for the lilith.
Firstly I'm adding some small pebbles, about 3 handfuls of 3/8 sized ones, in two different places, this is what we're used to spawn S.daemon.
Next I'm going to add some large Catappa leaves, these will provide movable spawning platforms , and we're used in spawning S.leucosticta.
Lastly, in addition to the two very large pieces of bogwood, I'm adding 2 large pieces of slate, as solid platforms. These were used when spawning S.pappaterra.
Well see if there are any takers.
I am also adjusting ph downwards, it's 6.4 at the moment.
Water changes have been increased to about 80 gallons a day, that's a lot of water, I will have to see how things develop.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 928

Postby eartheater3298 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:34 am

Breeding Condition
currently I have 8 of the species, with 1 more, male coming next weekend, All the males x 5 are around 10 inch t.l. All the females are above 6 inch t.l.
Sexing these fish wasn't easy, until they reached about 6 inch, now at a larger size, I've found them straight forward to sex. Males have pointed dorsal and anal fins. Females on the other hand have rounded dorsal and anal fins, but also have fin extensions, you need to look inside the fin to see this. Also females have much more rounded bodies , with deeper stomachs, more rounded , with been full of eggs.
I have 3 definate pairs, they tend to go around together in pairs, meeting in the tank middle to do their dominance bit, ie mouth wrestling and body waving, mine at the moment are going through the rituals, body waving at one another is very common.

The main thing I've noticed is coloration this has changed from a body of nice green/ yellow to such a degree, where they developed, instantly 7 black vertical stripes, covering the entire body, so dark are these stripes , That they blot out the black central spot identyfing this species. This colour change is phenomenal, and comes and goes depending if one of the other pairs ia about.
Currently I'm maintaining the water temperature, at 84 F, with a ph of 6.6, and a dgh of 3. I am thinking of installing a HMA plus RO water unit, to try and copy more closely the water conditions of this species.
Ive also ordered a box of Catappa leaves, with which I will use as movable platforms, in case they are platform spawners.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Yesterday, I lost the largest of my lilith to hith disease, he's had it about a week, I immediately treated with esha hexamita, but the holes in his head just got bigger and bigger, I went in yesterday morning to find him on his side, so I had to put him to sleep.

These fish are living in a 10 ft x 2ft x 30 ins front to back tank, which is well filtered. They are maintained at 27 28 C, the ph is 6.6, which today I've reduced to 6, the dgh is 2, nitrates are zero, Kh is 1, and nitrite is also zero.
Having spoken to a mate of mine, he reckons it could be copper in tap water , but I've tested and it's zero.
It could be lack of some vitamins, ie B C or D, so I'm upping the feeding to include regular feeds of Tetra prima and frozen bloodworm.
I carry out 20% water changes on a daily basis, hoping to keep hith under control.
Within this same tank, I have H.lebrifer spawning and raising fry, and also U.amphiocanthoides orange cheeks, so there's not much that wrong. So why are they getting hith
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:23 am

The hith seems to be reducing itself, the holes arnt quite as raw looking and the fish are all eating well.
I've started to feed them with Tetra Prima Discus , which because of its added vitamins seems to be giving them a better food intake. At the moment they are on the prima plus frozen bloodworms, here's hoping.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Previous

Return to South America