maintaining Satanoperca lilith

The place to discuss cichlids from South America

Re: maintaining Satanoperca lilith

Postby eartheater3298 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:54 am

Hi Mark,
I don't think a dgh of 6 is bad at all, depends what you want to achieve. If it's a spawning from your heckelii then you will probably need it a bit lower.
I would concentrate firstly on the feeding, which sounds to be fine, then start to slightly lower the dgh. At this time of year, it's an ideal time to collect dry tree leaves. I myself use oak and beech, both are effective, and I use those simply because they are available very locally.
get some net bags, I think Wharf do them (made by Eheim and Fluval), they arnt expensive. I have 4.
Be sure to collect dry, clean leaves, and get more than you think you will need, I simply collect mine in black bin bags, hence the leaves need to be clean and dry.
They are very good.
Next you will need a spawning pot, I use a large 15 inch plant pot, cut a V out, and rub it down, then I use another square cut pot to make a tunnel into the large pot, if I get chance I will photo mine and post it on here, they are dead easy to make.
hope that helps
eartheater3298

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 928

Postby chester18 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi Graham

Thanks for the info mate, not got time at the moment to look into spawning but in the future I would like to have a go

Just aiming to give them the best I am able to and enjoy the tank as it is in the living room

Cheers

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chester18

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Postby eartheater3298 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi Mark,
nothing wrong with that mate, I'm glad your looking after them.

I've just had the garage emptied, and once I'm over this flu (doc reckons it could be 10 more days yet), I will be able to go in there and sort out the insulation, and tank shelving. I have 3 x 66 inch tanks itching to be of use !!

Hoping to have all tanks moved in there before Christmas.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:55 am

Well, here's some good news. As you know I had to let all my fish go, last December, because of the walls beginning to fall out in the fish shed.
So, wind forward 7 months, and I've now got 2 tanks reset up back in my garage, which has a concrete floor. The two tanks are a 66 x 15 x 18 and a 48 x 15 x 18.
Yesterday I was able to find two of the original Satanoperca lilith specimens which I first bought 2 years ago, making these fish around 2 1/2 years old.
They havnt grown a great deal , but I will soon sort that out, they are now 6 inch. All I need now are 2 more. I think by the way, these two maybe boy and girl, they were lop locking once they had settled .
Superb
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:07 am

Well, it couldn't get much better. I've managed to track down 5 more of the S.lilith that I had, and also a young trio of Satanoperca acuticeps, which were also mine.
I'm going on Saturday to pick them up, they will all be going into the new 10 ft tank, once it arrives.
That now gives me a total of 7 lilith back, so plenty to work with.
The acuticeps are a lovely fish, those who have kept them will know that it's all about giving them food that is in the mid water reaches of their tank.
looking fwd to Saturday
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby chester18 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi Graham that's great news mate, sounds like everything's coming together for you. Yes mate the Satanoperca species are wonderfull and very interesting in their behaviour

Keep up the great work and it's great that you are updating us all

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chester18

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Postby eartheater3298 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:00 am

Thanks for that Mark. I'm going up to Silksworth tommorow, picking up 5 S.lilith, and 3 S.acuticeps, they all then wait in 66 inch tanks for the arrival of my new 10 footer, which should be here in 2 weeks, then all will be transfered into there :D :D
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:04 pm

Well, I've got my S, lilith back, I now have 6 of them with one more to get, it had caught it's face on something and was under treatment.
to say I'm happy us a understatement, I now have 4 which I believe are males , with 3 others which are females. The males are all about 10 inch t.l. with the females St around 7 inches. I have them seperated as we speak, the 4 large ones are in a 66 inch take, the 3 females in a 48 inch tank .
I water change them as previously told, they get 20% done each day, and I use Cycle to remove chlorine etc, with phosphoric acid to adjust the ph downwards.
They are fed a variety of frozen foods, plus Tetra prima, on a twice a day feed, I don't need to feed them as much as I did when they were younger,
the new 10 ft tank comes in a fortnight, once set up, the whole group will be put in there.
This species will get to around 14 inches t.l. I expect the males to do just that.
The ph at the moment is 6.4, with a dgh of 4, the water temp is 26 C, but I will put this up to 28 C, in the new tank.
its still not known how or when this species spawns.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:16 am

Even more good news, a guy put a pair of S.lilith for sale on another site, and they again are two of my old fish, so I've got them back as well.
The total I now have is 8 , with one more to come, wich is great.
I've now moved the 8 into my 10 ft tank and they look fabulous, they really do, I'm chuffed to get them all back, that's 9 out of eleven originals. :D :D
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Pre - spawning behaviour with S. Lilith.

since I moved the 8 of them into my 10 ft tank, theve been getting the hots for each other.

I've found that they are facing up to each other, mouth wrestling, body and head waving.

Yesterday, 6 of them changed colour !!
they went a dramatic black overall colouration, hiding their single central spot, under 7 vertical body stripes, about 3/8 wide, along the whole body flank.

Two of the pairs are continually meeting , mid tank and having a real face off against one another, gills flaring, mouth wrestling, going black coloured.

This morning, I've found two pairs, one at each end of the tank. One pair is picking up the sand substrate and clearing the tank base, whilst the other pair is cleaning a piece of bogwood. Either way I think I'm looking at a spawning, their tubes on all four fish are half down, the pairs are keeping all other fish away from their respective sites.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

PreviousNext

Return to South America