Green Chromide (Etroplus suratensis) with fry at Kew Gardens

Only a few here, the cichlids of Asia

Green Chromide (Etroplus suratensis) with fry at Kew Gardens

Postby dw1305 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi all,
I've been in London for a few days sight seeing with the kids, and managed to get them to Kew Gardens. In the marine display (underneath the "Palm House" <http://www.kew.org/visit-kew-gardens/garden-attractions-A-Z/marine-display.htm>), there are a couple of fairly large tanks with brackish water fish, including a tank with Green Chromide.

A pair of these have spawned and were protecting a large number of small free-swimming fry against all comers, with all the other fish penned in the top third of the tank.

The pond in the Princess of Wales Pavillion Tropical zone is also well worth a look (particularly for those who like large fish).

cheers Darrel
dw1305

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 267

Re: Green Chromide (Etroplus suratensis) with fry at Kew Gar

Postby bruciethefish » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Not been to Kew in a long while, but a friend who used to live nearby was partially responsible for populating the giant lily pond with fish.. He used to take a bag of surplus fry in his pocket, & 'accidentally' drop them in the pool.... :lol:
Chris Meachen, BCA social media officer
bruciethefish

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 12

Re: Green Chromide (Etroplus suratensis) with fry at Kew Gar

Postby dw1305 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:24 am

Hi all,
He used to take a bag of surplus fry in his pocket, & 'accidentally' drop them in the pool....
If they were the Endler's Livebearers, they have done very well. There are also some big Common Plecs (60cm at least), as well as the enormous Pacu, Red-tailed, Tiger Shovel-nose and Pangasius catfish. The only cichlids I noted were a couple of Severums, but I expect there are more.

cheers Darrel
dw1305

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 267

Return to Asia