No votes
No, We have enough groups
No votes
Whatever, Lets just eat cake
10%

Total votes : 29

Re: South West Cichlid Group

Postby steve1572 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:31 pm

You need to charge a small membership so it can be invested in making the club bigger there are web hosting costs and venue hire if there are going to be any meets auctions without any of these it will not last
If people are serious I will start looking a web host and getting some sort of support from the local shops
Sent froatm my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
steve1572

Forum Member

Postby JaloMan » Tue May 29, 2012 9:40 pm

how much would you call small? venues can be outside as british weather is amazing lol we can sort fish shops with bribes and for meets the pub is a good social area where alot of people meet to talk crap!!

As for a website i have people in the IT game cant we get one for free???
JaloMan

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Postby ste12000 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:56 pm

ApistoNut wrote:how much would you call small? venues can be outside as british weather is amazing lol we can sort fish shops with bribes and for meets the pub is a good social area where alot of people meet to talk crap!!

As for a website i have people in the IT game cant we get one for free???

Are you thinking long term??

Steves correct, people will not mind spending a small amount to join a club, my local club is Preston and is £6 a year to join, no one minds paying this and a good club has many more options available to it with money in the bank.

A fishclub should be ran as a service to fishkeepers of all ages and abilities and not as a financial or money making scheme, however that does not mean that there should not be a charge! all clubs charge a membership fee, this go's towards room hire, web hosting, lecturers for monthly meetings ect ect..

Steve, both the BCA and myself are behind you if you do seriously think of starting something up..
ste12000

BCA Member

Postby JaloMan » Tue May 29, 2012 9:58 pm

but..... I can hold a meet in any fish shop in bristol? but also i agree we do need money for tea and cofee lol
JaloMan

Forum Member

Postby ste12000 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:05 pm

ApistoNut wrote:but..... I can hold a meet in any fish shop in bristol? but also i agree we do need money for tea and cofee lol

So how do you draw people to the first meet? how do you get people through the door in the first place? generally hobbiests will travel to listen to a good speaker and most monthly club events will have a speaker of some kind.. Usually this will be a experienced member of the club or a local expert, often the speaker will be invited from outside the general area and the club needs to cover the fuel bill, maybe a hotel and meal and drinks for the evening.. A new club starting up is advised to start with a fairly large name to get people through the door and this might not be cheap.. Even if he lived within 50 miles of the venue its still a £30-40 fuel bill and his drinks for the evening.
ste12000

BCA Member

Postby Simon Morgan » Tue May 29, 2012 10:08 pm

We started the EACG by having no membership fees at all and continue to be completely free. All the money comes from the auction that we hold twice a year. To get the ball rolling we held a couple of auctions with no speaker, but now we have the funds to pay for speakers too. Check it out http://www.eacichlid.co.uk/

The BCA can host a sub-forum here to get you started. A place for you to discuss club business and events.
To get the ball rolling why not meet at a fish shop then go to the pub? Get a logo designed and agree on what you want to do and who does what. Then talk fish and drink like fish!

Advertise on all the forums, malawi, PFK, the tropical tank and Aquarist Classifieds too, ask if you can put posters up in LFS or just hang around all day stalking customers!!! There is probably a general aquarist club in Bristol, so why not go along to one of their meetings and see if you can find some cichlid fans there?
Simon Morgan

BCA Member

BAP Points: 1
BCA Membership Number: 14

Postby JaloMan » Tue May 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Like Simon said we can start by holding free meets and actually recruiting members before givoing them fees for nothing, we can have many guest speakers in the future if your interested Simon or Ste lol not to sure on a hotel but im sure wel find you somewhere to stay and taxis are the way to travel as they are easier to bump lol :D
JaloMan

Forum Member

Postby marsh82 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:04 pm

While I no longer keep fish I am still interested.

I know of an ideal location to hold meetings.... There is a local shop and garden centre in Tickenham (about 5 mins drive from Steves and 5 mins from Jct 20 of M5) that has a Tea/Coffee shop. Jack the proprieter of Jacks Aquatics would be more than happy to sort this out. Or me via Jack. If he's involved it can even be held after hours.

This is definitely needed guys. The SW has NOTHING of any use apart from a few diehards like Steve... if we had a decent network it would allow all sorts of ease of hobby (mini buses to auctions, Pier, Rare etc) and mass orders via Oddball Express etc to save on shipping costs.

I would join.
Cheers
Paul

marsh82

Forum Member

Postby JaloMan » Wed May 30, 2012 7:01 pm

can we just have a group in the social section so we can start somewhere ? that would be nice maybe call it South West Cichlids? we can recruit and start organising without posting in here every time?
JaloMan

Forum Member

Postby JaloMan » Wed May 30, 2012 7:02 pm

if it doesnt work out then just remove it
JaloMan

Forum Member

PreviousNext

Return to South West Cichlid Group