Pelvicachromis Pulcher Kribensis

The place to discuss the soft water cichlids of West Africa

Pelvicachromis Pulcher Kribensis

Postby k1ck574r7 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:55 am

Hi BCA

I have been looking for months for five or more spots on Caudal fin Kribensis all around London and the south and south east England.
Beginning to think this is an impossible task. I am in the process of setting up three 220 liter tanks for breeding.
Just cant find quality fish to bring back into the market from these common kribs found these days.
Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by k1ck574r7 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
k1ck574r7

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Re: Pelvicachromis pulcher Kribensis

Postby roger » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:50 am

Why 5 spots in the tail?

The fish from some populations have no caudal spots at all. In others populations the number of spots varies from zero upwards. Anton Lamboj's book has a number of photos of different populations. Of the wild caught fish most have no caudal spots, a couple have one. The only ones with more than one spot are both aquarium strains. He states that the presence and number of spots is highly variable and of little use in identifying different populations.

So large numbers of spots in the tail indicate a, possibly in-bred, aquarium strain. Many of these have been selected for spotty tails.
Roger Sleet
Ornoco Aquatics http://www.orinoco-aquatics.co.uk
roger

Committee: Treasurer

BCA Membership Number: 136

Postby k1ck574r7 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:09 am

Thanks for the reply

To be clear, I am not referring to taeniatus. Might be that times have changed and the strain lost.
Last edited by k1ck574r7 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
k1ck574r7

Forum Member

Postby Michael789 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi there,

A year or two back I was looking in a LFS at the Kribs on sale and was disappointed both at the lack of colouring and general health of the specimens.

I tried to collect a few unrelated (?) fish from shops in different parts of the country to establish a better strain with improved colouring in both the caudal and dorsal fins. This project was overtaken by other fish that I wanted to breed and the few juveniles that I had kept reside in a heavily planted tank in a corner on one of the the bottom racks in my fish house. Aside from feeding with flake and the occasional water change I haven't done anything further with these fish.

After your post I had a look this morning at what was left in the tank and tried to take photos of a couple of males. As you can see photography is not a great interest of mine but I think I can claim at least four spots on the caudal of the males. As you would expect there were a range of markings within the population with a number of males not showing any spots.

In my experience wild caught (F0) fish of this species are highly variable in terms of marking - this is not surprising given the range that the species inhabits. There are wild caught populations with multi-spots on the tail, one of the Dutch importers has a video on YouTube of wild males with 3 spots in the tail. This is consistent with the description of Group 2 members in Lamboj's book.
Michael789

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 229

Pelvicachromis pulcher Kribensis

Postby boltons1 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:11 pm

I know of one stunning male at my father in laws that I gave him and loads of off spring that he is trying to get rid of. I don't know much about Kribs it was a side project but this one has a red flank all the way from head to tail too, and a few spots. I will get pics tomorrow. The female is stunning too. Perhaps it is a different species?

Just got this one off google as it most represents the one in my father in law's tank, however it has a deeper red belly and the red extends further towards the tail. I'm always disappointed I didn't stick with the west African project a while longer when I see it put it that way ;)

boltons1

Forum Member

Postby stormbird » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:27 pm

in cichlids of West Africa Staeck & Linke depict several variations of P.pulcher some with & some without spots , and state they are from different locations .
One factor that should however be remembered when looking at photos, is that kribs vary in their density of colour depending on their breeding condition
stormbird

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 593

Postby k1ck574r7 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:47 pm

Wow, Thanks for all the response.

Read it with much interest. Thus far I have sourced a male from South London.

Photo attached. Sorry for the poor image. Best I could find since the search began.

I had reference given to me that there are of a better quality coming from Cameroon?

Keep me posted and let me know your thoughts if I can haggle you for them?
Attachments
kribensisphoto.jpg
k1ck574r7

Forum Member

Postby bruciethefish » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:32 pm

Part of the problem comparing what's available today with what many of us kept donkey's years ago is identification;- Back when we started out, almost all Pelvicochromis species from West Africa were sold as 'Pelmatochromis kribensis' , mostly because the research hadn't yet been done, & the importers, wholesalers & retailers didn't know any better. This resulted in an awful lot of confusion, & no doubt a lot of hybrids between both geographical races & separate species..
You might recall that the genus were regarded as 'difficult' when they first became available, hardly a description that fits many of them now!
In the end, you pay your money & take your choice, but from what I've been told by those that should know, the gene for the male's spottiness is carried by the female, so you'll only really find out what you have when the fry mature....
Chris Meachen, BCA social media officer
bruciethefish

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 12

Re: Pelvicachromis Pulcher Kribensis

Postby k1ck574r7 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:01 am

Hi Gents

So I thought I would send update on how this is all getting on. Will send additional updates as there has been progress since attached.
Thanks for the support and interest.
Attachments
20150628_205744.jpg
Rack built and bolted to the wall.
20150628_205712.jpg
3 x 220L Repairing, painting and leak testing.
k1ck574r7

Forum Member

Re: Pelvicachromis Pulcher Kribensis

Postby k1ck574r7 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:25 pm

Hi Gents

I cross referenced regarding the previous response that the gnome was carried by the female?
Breeders I have been in contact with advise that the male has the stronger gnome.

Found additional information on the below links, Should the moderators not object.

http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threa ... oject.5599
http://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1416
k1ck574r7

Forum Member

Next

Return to West Africa