Enigmatochromis lucansi spawn

The place to discuss the soft water cichlids of West Africa

Re: Enigmatochromis lucansi spawn

Postby Helen » Fri May 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Today I have moved the oldest babies to a tank of their own bcos the parents have been chasing them around / away from their cave area for about a week now. On moving them I learned that there were actually 10 babies and not the 9 that I originally thought :clap:
Am now relaxing watching all my fish, after spending AGES on my weekly water changes too..... It's the best part of the day when I can just sit and watch all the antics :P My other lot of babies are coming along very nicely too, although still far too small to separate yet.
All the best
Helen
I love all my fishes but........
........I'm in love with my Guianacara & my black Cory cats ;D
Helen

Forum Member

Postby Helen » Mon May 20, 2013 12:04 pm

Since moving the 10 babies into their own tank they have started to get markings & of course I have been watching them closely to see what sexes 'mr stork' has given to me :lol: at the moment I believe I have 4 females, maybe 5 and definitely 5 males :) so it seems I've been lucky in having a pretty even split with them. My other larger spawn are still too small to determine what they are as yet - there was about a month between the spawns , I hope I've been as lucky with them tho :D
All the best
Helen
Helen

Forum Member

Postby Helen » Fri May 31, 2013 2:35 pm

Can really tell what sexes the older babies are now :) I also think I've got some real nice looking fish too! I may be a bit bias there tho, being their mama and all :lol:
I've got my eye on a couple for myself - which won't be related as they are from my two different pairs :)
That's the good thing about owning them, you get to have first dibs :lol:
All the best
Helen
Helen

Forum Member

Postby Helen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:30 am

This morning I got up to find both my pairs of lucansi with new young :D It seems once they start there's no stopping them - it must be true love :lol: I am well pleased because I would like to see them more readily available in the hobby so that more of us can get to enjoy their beauty :D They truly are
a lovely little fish.......
All the best
Helen
Helen

Forum Member

Postby Simon Morgan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:45 am

Congrats again Helen. Any pictures? Do you have plans for selling on the young? You must have 100s by now!
Simon Morgan

BCA Member

BAP Points: 1
BCA Membership Number: 14

Postby Helen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks Simon, I don't have 100s :lol: but with these new spawnings & the others I have already I estimate between 70 & 80 - if they all survive.... My lucansi have their own tanks but I do have a couple of corys & a handful of tetras in with them too.....
My intention is to sell them on when they are a bit bigger - my oldest ones are coming up to about an inch now :D I can clearly tell male from female with those. One of my friends wants a pair, after having seen the parents - no money to be made there :lol: I've got my eye on a couple myself :D
It's a shame I'm unable to get to any of the auctions as I'd probably have offered a few there too when big enough - They are F1 & F2 babies...
I'm also branching out a little bit from dwarfs, I've decided to have a go with some Guianacara after seeing Chris's :lol: I recently acquired a nice size female and I'm due to have a further 2 pairs this week :clap: Really looking forward to those - although they may not be as large as the female I have now...
...... Still out of luck with my rams tho, they are spawning all the time but eating them as soon as they start to swim - fab parents up to that point.
Any sign of your lucansi young yet Simon?
All the best
Helen
Helen

Forum Member

Postby Simon Morgan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:14 pm

No, I think it was a false alarm or possibly a trial run, they haven't spawned before so it's hard to know for sure, lots of excavation though so I'm still hoping!
Simon Morgan

BCA Member

Postby Helen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Sorry to hear that you think it may be a false alarm Simon :( Don't give up hope tho, when my F1 pair spawned for the first time I actually thought I'd been mistaken about it :) she had started to go out & about with the male again etc and it was 3 or 4 days later that they finally brought out the young, getting on for 2 weeks in total.... They were also a bit larger in size to my wild pair's young, who'd shown theirs much earlier :) So there's hope for yours yet - unless you are positive they haven't :?:
All the best
Helen
Helen

Forum Member

Postby Helen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:43 am

Today I am pretty concerned about my f1 male lucansi. For some reason unknown to me the female he has always been with & spawned with previously is now attacking him constantly! They have newly hatched fry, a day or two old but in the past have always looked after them together, I just can't fathom why she would turn on him this time. There has never been any trouble before between them at all. I don't want to have to remove him but may have to because of how aggressive she is becoming. Anyone got any ideas on why this would happen after their being together so long?
All the best
Helen
Helen

Forum Member

Postby Simon Morgan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:19 pm

This is fairly normal for Pelvics, Apistos and many dwarf Cichlids. One possibility is that the female wants to care for the fry but the male wants to spawn again.
Simon Morgan

BCA Member

PreviousNext

Return to West Africa