maintaining Satanoperca lilith

The place to discuss cichlids from South America

maintaining Satanoperca lilith

Postby eartheater3298 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:42 pm

Back in September of last year I convinced myself that one of the first fish that I wanted on returning to the fold, would be Satanoperca lilith.

I've had them before, and last time the largest got to 8 inch t.l. before I packed in.

This time I saw an advert, advertising them for sale at £22 per fish, they had 12 of them, so I went up and bought all twelve fish, they were all around 4 inch t.l. and in pretty good condition.

I brought them home and splitting them into 2 X 51" tanks, I kept a close eye on them. They have been no trouble at all, I've kept them in warm (28c) water, with a ph of 5.5 and with a GH of 2. Since arriving theve had almost daily water changes, and been fed at least 4 times a day, needless to say theve grown, and as I write this on 21st Feb 2016, the largest are almost 8 ", so that's back where I started.

This coming week, I will be splitting up the fish into 3 tanks 4 to a tank, that will give them even more room to grow. They will have tank mates in all tanks of Dwarf Crenicichla, one will have C.notopthalmus, one C.regani (barcelos), and the third, probably C.notopthalmus (purus). They should be optimal tank mates, providing a bottom enherent species, with one that will roam anywhere and everywhere,.

I hope to keep S.lilith along with all the other Satanopercas this time. I currently have all the described Satanopercas plus a couple Satanoperca ?.

So far the S.lilith have been excellent tank occupants, and I can't wait to see how they spawn, in captivity.
Graham
eartheater3298

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 928

Re: maintaining Satanoperca lilith

Postby eartheater3298 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:21 am

Well, it's now almost 6 months since I got them, and they continue to thrive. I still do the daily water change on them, but I've increased the amount, and they now always get a 20% water change.

I've found keeping them no trouble at all, they are ferocious eaters, and will take their food with speed, in fact they can keep up with my Retroculus.
They have started to sprout long streamers from their dorsal, tail, and anal fins, and look absolutely fantastic, in fact some of the streamers are a good 3 inches long now, I think if I was starting again these would be be my very first fish, they would look fantastic in a 6ft long display tank, along with some large tetras they would make a fantastic display tank, keeping them with well rooted plants isn't a problem.
The only problems these fish give are they firstly need frequent water changes and it needs to be good, soft water. Secondly they need feeding a lot of times each day, I'm in the process of fitting an automatic feeder to one tank to see how it goes,if it goes well, that will be grand as I've spotted a machine to carry out automatic water changes for me, more on that later.

So I'm very pleased with their progress and hope it continues.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:50 am

Well, I've finally done it, I've moved all my S.lilith into the same tank together, and what a job it was. I had already moved ten of them from a 51" long tank into a 68" long tank, the reason was quite simple, I had ended up with 10 fish in one tank, and 2 in another.

The differences in size are quite amazing, the ten, are all around seven and half inch t.l Whilst the 2 are both about eight and half inch, quite remarkable,

I had last weekend put in , filled and moved the ten fish in, and they had settled fine, however moving the other two , would I knew be a bit more difficult, because of other tank occupants, loads of bogwood etc.

I started by lowering the water level to about half way down, I then removed all the pieces of bogwood, then I set about netting the two fish, these lilith by the way, are self trained, just like my Retroculus to go from one end of tank to the other in milliseconds,so it was essential for me to catch the two as quickly as possible.

I used two ten inch nets one in each hand and gently split them off so that I could catch them individually.

I caught the first one no problem, and eventually got the second.

Within minutes of being moved they were feeding with the others, superb,

The lilith are probably the hardest of the Satanopercas to catch, but now I've moved them they look great and I'm very pleased. I also checked them whilst moving them and found no HITH, or HLLE, I'm really pleased about that, just goes to show that my water changes and food offerings are doing alright.

I now look forward to them staying in that tank, along with a male and 3 female C.notopthalmus I have also put in
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:38 am

I've just added my first tetras to the tank. It already has the 12 S.lilith, and 4 Crenicichla notopthalmus. So I've added 18 Rummy Nose Tetras, they are about 1 inch long, and in good condition. Having had them a few days, I was surprised to find their numbers had dwindled from the original 18 down to 14. Wether it's the Pikes or the Satanoperca eating them I don't know, but will keep a closer eye on them.
I should of course have bought larger tetras, I had quite liked some Red Eye tetras, maybe next time.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Well all the rummy nose went almost overnight, they were obviously too slim.

So yesterday I got 18 Black Phantom tetras, these are much bigger, and about 2p size. They are doing good and I haven't lost any yet, so I'm hopefully, although they don't seem to be having much effect on the lilith as yet.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:26 am

I've decided to sell 6 of my S.lilith, at the moment they are taking up too much room, I want to keep them together, and had considered a 9ft x 20 x 24 tank for them, but it's crazy so 6 will have to go.

They continue to grow, the largest is about 8 inch, with the smallest at 6 inch.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:20 pm

Well, I've had a rethink on getting rid of 6.
I've decided to put 4 into the forthcoming BCA auction, leaving me with eight, which I'm going to split into 2 lots of four and put the fours into 2 X 66 inch tanks, which should give them sufficient space, I also intend lifting the tanks about 10 inch more than they are at the moment.
additionally I intend taking the 18 Black phantom tetras to a local fish outlet, I think Bleeding heart tetras will be a much better buy.
I will leave my group of 7 C.notopthalmus in with one of the groups of four, and put a group of C.regani Rio Negro in with the other four.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby chester18 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:26 pm

Hi Graham

Hope you and the boss are ok fella.

Have you had any success on spawning the Lilith yet mate, was wondering which foods you find best for growth and colour for the Satanoperca species.

Seem to be getting slow growth at the moment, think the Heckelii are getting there before them most of the time

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chester18

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Postby eartheater3298 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:01 am

Hi Mark,
I'm okay mate, just trying to get over the effects of a bad dose of flu.

No, I havnt had anything yet from my S,lilith but they are still small at 8 inch, so I havnt given up work on them yet.

Feeding Satanoperca, they will generally eat anything, although I'm a bit more carefull when feeding my acuticeps and daemon, the rest are easy. I'm always carefull with these two though, I tend to ensure they get smaller type foods than the others I tend to feed them such as frozen prawns and shrimp well chopped up so that it goes all over the tank, thereby enabling them to feed on it at all water levels.
With the other Satanoperca, I feed heavier foods such as whole garden worms larger pellet foods etc, I think variety is key, they never get the same food two days on the trot.
I think though it's the water that matters, and it's more important to have low dgh rather than low ph, my fish always seem to be better at dgh 2 rather than dgh 6, so I have larger pieces of bogwood and nothing in the tank that can raise the hardness.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby chester18 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi Graham

Glad to hear your feeling better mate

Ye i aim to always give variety as well, mostly in the form of prime, frozen foods and pellets also I feed super spirulina flakes they all seem to like that especially my severum

Will try the shrimp mate as I have some I already use for my L24 pleco

My dgh is 6 at the moment mate so would you try and lower it or leave it. My aquarium is approx 200 gallons

Cheers

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chester18

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Next

Return to South America