Laetacara thayeri

Questions about the health and welfare of your fish? ask here.

Laetacara thayeri

Postby acomb55 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:50 am

I've got a wild adult pair of these fish. Recently I did a water change, but the following day I found the male on his side,& his colouring had changed dark . Later the female took the same position laying on it's side.
I moved both fish to other individual tanks, raised the temp the female seems better but will not eat .The male is still on his side but when I handle him he swims about then he is back to his side.
They are about 5 -6 years old .
Anybody got any idea what is wrong.
acomb55

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 215

Re: Laetacara thayeri

Postby eartheater3298 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Hi Ian,

I hope that your well ?

The water you used to carry out your water change seems to me to have something in it, which has affected the fish.

Your probably not going to find out what it is without getting a print out of what's in your water from the water board.

I would hazard a guess at something like copper.

What I would do mate is use activated carbon in either a box filter, loose, or in a pad like the Eheim types, a couple of days of usage should remove whatever it is that caused the problem.

I would also be inclined to add some additional air into their tank water.

I wouldn't bother feeding them, but would also raise the temperature to around 90f for a couple of days, then slowly reduce it, back to where it was.

Good luck and best wishes
Graham
eartheater3298

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 928

Postby acomb55 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi Graham,
Yes we are well.
Thanks for your suggestion, I've put it into action, the female seems a bit better but the male although still alive he's still on his side. time will tell if it works for him.
Ian
acomb55

BCA Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:18 pm

Good luck Ian.
I hope they both survive. I don't do water changes on 2 days a week, cos I know the Water board do there's then, they can put some fairly bad stuff for fishes into our water, safe for us but not for fish.
Picked up 6 Biotodoma cupido and a pair of Satanoperca mapiritensis yesterday, all settled I well
Regards
Graham
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby acomb55 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:05 pm

Alas both fish died within the last week. First the female , she was permanently on her side.
The male up-righted & swam for a little while ,then slide on to his side and only ate now & then.
acomb55

BCA Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:18 pm

Sorry to hear that you lost them Ian, I know how much you love this type of fish
Hope you've got some more

Graham
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Return to Aquarium Husbandry, Disease Cures & Prevention