Greetings from down south

For all non-aquatic discussion and anything that doesn't fit above, please adhere to the forum rules!

Greetings from down south

Postby markee » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Just thought i'd drop in and say hi from a cold, wet and windy Falkland Islands, not had any snow for a week so that's a bonus! I'm 3 weeks into my 4 month tour, missing the missus, missing my Gibbs but the days are moving along steadily so can't grumble too much. Got pleny of Cichlid reading material to help pass the evenings, being away gives me a chance to actually catch up on the things i say i'm going to do when i'm home but never actually get round to doing lol.

On a side note, i had a great time at the BCA convention in September and when i get back i'm looking to maybe join one of the 'local' groups so i can get out and about a bit more but i don't know which group would cover my area and some seem more active than others. I'm currently living near Oxford but i can't see a group that would cover that area, i don't mind travelling a bit but wouldn't want to go too far out.
7x2x2 stocked with Iodotropheus Sprengerae, Metriaclima Mbenji, Cynotilapia sp.Hara, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Metriaclima Aroura Likoma, Pseudotropheus Saulosi
markee

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 170

Re: Greetings from down south

Postby Simon Morgan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:44 pm

Hello! My Uncle was posted out there in the 90's. He enjoyed it at first, especially the fishing and watching Penguins but eventually got pretty bored.
Oxford isn't too far from the Southern meeting which is near Heathrow. I guess that will be in March. The next midlands one will be in May.
Simon Morgan

BCA Member

BAP Points: 1
BCA Membership Number: 14

Re: Greetings from down south

Postby markee » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Yep i can relate to the boredom, that hardest part about being away is keeping yourself busy to make the time go quick, i haven't been here since 1999 and the place hasn't changed lol. Being away does remind you of the things that we take for granted, like internet access, phone access, decent food, non UHT milk. I've been serving for nearly 24 years now and i think i'm at the stage now where it's time to move on to something new, since April 2012 to when i finish down here, Jan 2015, i'll have been away from home on and off for nearly 600 days. I can access some websites from the work computer (hence me being on here lol) and we don't pay VAT with Amazon when we're overseas so there are some perks, i'm ordering some Tanganyikan books and i have my downloaded Cichlidae with me, so i have plenty of reading material in the evenings. I'm also getting a 7ft tank next year so i'm working out the finer details on that so i can get the plan rolling when i get back.

I was going to go to the Southern Counties convention earlier in the year but it got cancelled due to council work access, i'll be back for the one in March so i'll be going to that one.
7x2x2 stocked with Iodotropheus Sprengerae, Metriaclima Mbenji, Cynotilapia sp.Hara, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Metriaclima Aroura Likoma, Pseudotropheus Saulosi
markee

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 170

Return to The Water Change Area