Been away for a week

For all non-aquatic discussion and anything that doesn't fit above, please adhere to the forum rules!

Been away for a week

Postby Riva » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi Been away for a week on the red sea doing some diving and photography.
Feel like I've been having an illicit fling with something else other than cichlids :oops:
Riva

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 248

Re: Been away for a week

Postby webbie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Fantastic Pic Mike ,any more ?
webbie

BCA Member

Postby Damon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi Mike, where exactly were you?
Damon

Forum Member

Postby James (24T) » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Red Sea by the look. ;)

Kind of tempted to grab em and bring em home?
James (24T)

Forum Member

Postby Riva » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi Mike, where exactly were you?

Stayed at Naama Bay, Sharm el Sheik and then dived around tiran, shark bay and ras.

Kind of tempted to grab em and bring em home?

Yeah was tempted but it has made me think about setting up the tank in the house as a marine tank though.
Fill it with live rock and see what develops :?

Plenty more pics but will need to find the time to get them sorted, I took a high def video camera underwater as well, the videos are stunning.
Riva

Forum Member

Postby Damon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:29 am

Stayed at Naama Bay, Sharm el Sheik and then dived around tiran, shark bay and ras.

Awesome, the soft corals in that pic reminded me of Shark and Yolanda reef - Ras Mohammed. Was it busy? I've heard Egyptian tourism is well down on previous years.

Here are a few of ours (well Becky's) from our last Dahab trip - http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowe_becky/sets/72157632007169403/with/6633736439/

And then Stoney Cove last Summer - http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowe_becky/sets/72157632007172447/with/7768819494/

Most recent trip was to Sipadan in Borneo, unfortunately, as many on here know, we have been seriously busy and haven't got around to even a semi-sensible sort of the photos from that trip.

I really really want to dive lake Tang, so that's the next big trip. Maybe next year...
Damon

Forum Member

Postby Riva » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:25 pm

Awesome, the soft corals in that pic reminded me of Shark and Yolanda reef - Ras Mohammed. Was it busy? I've heard Egyptian tourism is well down on previous years.

The pic was taken at Ras Um Sid
Yeah tourism was down a lot, many places were empty :(

Been a good few years since I was in Naama Bay and TBH I did not recognise the place.
Where we dived back in the 90's and there was desert dropping into the blue sea now there is hotel complex after hotel complex and private beaches.
I thought a good few times about the sustainability of it all.

Nice pics BTW :D

If you ever want to do Tanganyika I can get you in touch with someone I know who does dive tours out of Kigoma.
Riva

Forum Member

Postby Damon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:17 pm

If you ever want to do Tanganyika I can get you in touch with someone I know who does dive tours out of Kigoma.

Wow. I've had a tough day. I cannot tell you how much better that one little sentence has made me feel. I thought I was flying completely blind on this one. Everywhere I've asked has come up blank and there is very little info on the net about diving the lake.

I thought a good few times about the sustainability of it all.

Yep, it's bad there. We have dived in Dahab 3 times and once in Nuweiba, plus boat dives out of Sharm. The worst thing is driving back to Sharm through the desert. They take the rubbish from the resorts and half bury it out in the desert - the wind then blows it back towards Sharm. In other places the fishing, and sadly the diving has also had a major impact on sea life. When I first went to Dahab and Nuweiba you would regularly see turtles. I haven't seen any in the last few trips. Sadly, it's lose lose because without the diving the place will be trashed by fishing...

Anyway, enough sadness, as I said, you've totally made my day.
Damon

Forum Member

Return to The Water Change Area