new peacock s not accepting jbl cichlid

From Beginners to Topic of the Day, find your answers here

Re: new peacock s not accepting jbl cichlid

Postby alan eganp » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:29 pm

i tryed that food. blood worm, mysiss, new life spctrum. cichlid food,, jbl flake, they r eating none of them,, one has died ,, i have no ideas wat elas can do
alan eganp

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 1

Postby alan eganp » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:38 pm

i tryed t discus food. blood worms, mysiss,, jbl flake,,they r eating nothing, one has died,, i dont know what to do...i wonderer r they intimidated by the cichlids that r already in tank even dough the r not been bullyed in any way
alan eganp

Forum Member

Postby stormbird » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:55 pm

looking back over the topic I'm wondering if the problem started when you bought fish direct from the wholesaler via your local dealer which is not a good practice unless your prepared for a carefull transition from the bags into your tank water, especially as your running your tank @ pH 8.2 which is more ideal for Tangs than Malawi's,which are better around 7.5 from recollection although it is a long time since I kept them as I prefer Tangs.
As for what to do it may already be too late to save them althogh transfering them into a tank @ a lower pH might be worth trying .
stormbird

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 593

Postby alan eganp » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:29 am

the local shop has the same ph as me, because we are in the same town which has one water supply from local councel,, ph is 8.2 ish,, reason i i asked the owner in shop not to let them into her tanks first was my attempt to limit their stress by saving them acclimating into her tanks which are quite small and in public veiw all day and then stress of netting and acclimating into my tanks few days later,,, all other cichlids she sourced for me are of excellent quality and the blothced one s are good looking fish in every way except for feeding, i think my last card could b to move then into one of my other tanks , possiblely my 250 which has angels swordtails rainbows ect, i know it be impossible to feed then cichlid only food in that tank and the food i feed that tank could lead to bloat in time if they begin to feed,, id imagine they should have acclimated to ph by now
alan eganp

Forum Member

Postby stormbird » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:08 am

Think you missed my point about aclimatising the fish . If I'm uncertain of the water I always take a few hours balancing the water in the bag with the tank water before adding the fish to the tank . This has 2 purposes
1) to balance the pH
2) dealers sometimes add sedatives to the bag & that is better not added to the tank

As for becoming aclimatised to the tanks pH any damage due to pH is likely to have occured when the fish were added to the tank if the differential was too great
stormbird

BCA Member

Postby alan eganp » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:15 pm

ok i get u now... that makes alot of sense ..... it has to be the explain the problem,, its not the food as i have tryed almost everything,, its not shelter or their natural need for their own cave r hide away territory as i have tank full of caves,,, its not stress from bullying or people at the tank, im strict wit water changes , constantly check chemistry, double filter all tanks,,monitor temp,, it b such a pity if my good intention of savin them stress of be added to store tank is in fact reason they r un well
alan eganp

Forum Member

Postby CatQuaria » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:53 pm

alan eganp wrote:the local shop has the same ph as me, because we are in the same town which has one water supply from local councel,, ph is 8.2 ish,, reason i i asked the owner in shop not to let them into her tanks first was my attempt to limit their stress by saving them acclimating into her tanks which are quite small and in public veiw all day and then stress of netting and acclimating into my tanks few days later,,, all other cichlids she sourced for me are of excellent quality and the blothced one s are good looking fish in every way except for feeding, i think my last card could b to move then into one of my other tanks , possiblely my 250 which has angels swordtails rainbows ect, i know it be impossible to feed then cichlid only food in that tank and the food i feed that tank could lead to bloat in time if they begin to feed,, id imagine they should have acclimated to ph by now

Your mains water is pH 8.2??????? There's something really wrong if it is. It will be unfit for human consumption. The standard across the country is between 6.8 and 7.2 and all water suppliers have to buffer to achieve this.

Also, buying directly from the wholesaler through the LFS is always a bad idea as has been proven here. The LFS should always quarantine any stock it purchases for at least 72 hours minimum. Your fish will have been subjected to more stress than if they had gone through a proper quarantine. As you've had one fatality I feel that any attempts you make now will be too late. You will find that ammonia in particular is exponentially more toxic at pH 8.2 than it would be at pH 7.0 so I would recommend an immediate water test of all parameters.

http://www.lenntech.com/aquatic/acids-alkalis.htm
CatQuaria

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 940

Postby roger » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:41 pm

dcisolutions wrote:Your mains water is pH 8.2??????? There's something really wrong if it is. It will be unfit for human consumption. The standard across the country is between 6.8 and 7.2 and all water suppliers have to buffer to achieve this.

Not sure where you got this from the legal limit for drinking water is it is actually between 6.5 an 10. That isn't a typo TEN. London tap water is quite often over pH8.

https://www.southernwater.co.uk/drinking-water-quality-standards

dcisolutions wrote:http://www.lenntech.com/aquatic/acids-alkalis.htm

Not sure where this comes from either
- Below a pH of 5, fish populations begin to disappear, the bottom is covered with undecayed material, and mosses may dominate nearshore areas.
- Below a pH of 4.5, the water is essentially devoid of fish.

Of course we all know that Symphysodon discus occur naturally in pH lower than 4.5 Fishbase gives pH4.2, and some Betta (e.g. coccina) go even lower.
Roger Sleet
Ornoco Aquatics http://www.orinoco-aquatics.co.uk
roger

Committee: Treasurer

BCA Membership Number: 136

Postby alan eganp » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:28 am

ok i understand the importance of PH ect, quarantine , acclamanting and so on,,, however there is a high grade fish shop i have often purchased cichlids from, i have had several disscussins wit him, i know all his tanks are feed from a R\O system wit re mineralised water, i have added cichlids and other fish to my tanks wit half hour drops without trouble in the past from his stock,, i have checked my water on many occasions and phis 8,2 ish,, my amonia is far from critical,,, now all that said i beleive there is a possibllity that although i said bullying is not a major issue, how ever i think they been last added to tank means
possibly be intimadated away from the food during feeding ,all other fish are big robust greedy pigs while eating,, i have transfered them to my 250 tonight , so b interesting if the less intimadating tank helps them,,and the my knowledge councels often raise water ro 8 is ph so as not to be acidic and ware down inside of pipes
alan eganp

Forum Member

Postby stormbird » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:13 am

the ammonia being reffered to is from the transport bag not your tank !
stormbird

BCA Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cichlid Discussions