60 litre breeder stocking ideas?

From Beginners to Topic of the Day, find your answers here

60 litre breeder stocking ideas?

Postby prdad » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:52 pm

I've been introducing my son to fish keeping and turned his bedroom into a fishroom. He loves it. (so do I :)) Upto now we've had success with live bearers (endlers), egg scatterers (Boraras brigittae), Cherry Shrimp and now we'd like to turn our attention to a couple of mouthbrooders. We've set up a 60 litre tank heavily planted with java moss, duckweed and ferns and a ehiem 2013 (with leca and peat) with a prefilter on the intake. Oak and beech leaves and a sandy substrate. Tanks been running for a month and was filled with water from the other tanks and seeded with mulm.

I'm looking for advice on what would be a good pair or trio for this tank. I have my eye on Nanochromis transvestitus but have no idea where I could source them. I'm in Manchester. Any advice would be greatly recieved.

Great forum btw!! :clap:
prdad

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Re: 60 litre breeder stocking ideas?

Postby prdad » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:22 am

Nobody with any ideas? Even if its dont keep cichlids because it makes you miserable.
prdad

Forum Member

Postby stormbird » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:51 pm

60 liters -how big is that ? There is a trend amongst mainly new fish keepers ,to give the tanks volume rather than it's dimensions which are more important when looking @ stocking levels . I suspect that is because some tank makers sell them that way . 60 liters sounds a lot but it's only about 12 gallons . So I'd guess the tank is 2 foot long , or possibly a shallow 30 inch , but it could be deeper with little length .
Stocking levels are normally caculated ona surface area to length of fish ratio , however with Cichlids the agression levels also need to be acounted for .. Nanochromis transvestitus can be quite aggressive and I'd not try keeping them in a tank less than 30x12 and a depth of 15 inches but some might say other wise or even suggest larger .

If you want to keep cichlids in that size tank you'd be better looking @ Apistogrammas , and asking about specific species as they do vary in temperament
As to where from there are a few Aquarist shops in the Manchester area , but it's a while since I've been around them so not sure which to advise
stormbird

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 593

Postby prdad » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:52 pm

24 x 12 x 12 inches, so 13.5 gallon in old money. I've found a little more info on the Nanochromis transvestitus and I think I've probably picked a difficult one for the first attempt. Theres a chap localish to me that has some for sale. I'll ask if any have paired off and if not have a look around for someone Manchester based with Apistos. I did travel up to Pier Aquatics in Wigan who had a couple of apistos but they were either 60 quid a pair or in quarantine.

So if anyone reads this in the North West with some Apistos to sell please get in touch as I presume posting in this weather isnt a very good idea.

Cheers

Warren
prdad

Forum Member

Postby dragondave » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:47 am

have a look and see what rare aquatics have got certainly a lot less than the sixty pound a pair
I went their for the first time a few weeks ago and found them to be very helpful and the best part
was they didn't hassle me while I looked around and then answered any questions I had
I bought a number of fish from them and all are doing well
Dave
dragondave

Forum Member

Postby prdad » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks Dave, I'll try and make a trip over there during the holidays. Reading back my comments on Pier Aquatics they sounded a bit dismissive! They did say they usually have a bigger Apisto range in stock, so I've just caught them mid order cycle. Its probably one of the best tropical shops I've visited upto now with a great variety of some of the more obscure types in the numerous tanks and friendly helpful staff. It was a pleasure to visit and I'd definitely return.
prdad

Forum Member

Postby dragondave » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:02 pm

Your welcome Warren
Rare isn't the largest shop in the world and certainly haven't got the number of tanks that Wigan has but
check them out on the trading place (part of this forum) and as I said lovely people I am sure you will find
something to intrigue you
look through their list and see what takes your fancy and you can do a bit of background research to help you
make your mind up
dragondave

Forum Member

Postby Simon Morgan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:09 pm

I would go with a pair of Apistos or perhaps Pelvicachromis.
If you have hardwater then Shelldwellers would be fun.
Simon Morgan

BCA Member

BAP Points: 1
BCA Membership Number: 14

Postby LeeManchester » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:09 pm

Hi Warren, World of water in Altrincham have a good stock of Apistos.
LeeManchester

Forum Member

Return to Cichlid Discussions