On with last fish house build

Building a dedicated fish house or room, ask here

Re: On with last fish house build

Postby eartheater3298 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:09 pm

Well, the tank is set up and I've got fish in there, it's been a busy few weeks.
I started by filling the new tank with water, then sorting out the filter, then adding the fish let me explain.

I have the two tanks, a 48 and a 66 running.
I we t out and bought 3 bags of Alfa grog, plus 2 X new Jaeger ( Eheim ), heater stats. I've set these at 28 C, for 2 of them, plus a third one at same time, and a 4th one at 25 C, in case of failure. Two of the heaters come on together, one slightly behind and one never.
The 3 bags of Alfa grog are now all in the biological section of the sump filter, filling a space about 4 ft x 1 ft deep x 15 inch wide. In front of this is a coarse pair of foam 2 inch thick sheets , and in front of them is a filter fleece pad, acting as mechanical filters.
The pump is at one end in a enclosure, the water drops in at the other end through 3 x 40 mm inlet tubes.
The outlet from the pump goes up and discharges into the tank at both ends.
Additionally, I have a pond air pump, supplying air into the tank, with 4 large sponge filters, and 2 airstones, giving alternate filtration.
The tank has a 1 inch thick base of sand, plus 3 large pieces of bogwood.
Tank residents are to date, 8 x Satanoperca lilith, a trio of Satanoperca leucosticta, two x S.acuticeps, a breeding pair of H.lebriferer, and lastly a pair of G.abalios. All these fish are 7 inch minimum.
to add at a later date, 6 x C.notopthalmus, 6 x medium sized loricarids, and probably a shoal of medium sized tetras.
The current temp is 27 C, with a ph of 6.6, and a Gh of 3.
So, that's it, running well, and the S.lilith are showing signs of breeding , we shall see.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 928

Re: On with last fish house build

Postby eartheater3298 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:34 am

The tank is running well, currently I have 8 x s.lilith, 3 x s.leucosticta, a pair of G.abalios, a breeding pair of H.libiferer , a breeding pair of U. Red cheeks, a pair of C.sveni, and aL191 catfish.
I have uprated the pump, at 5,000 lph I considered it to be not powerful enough, so I'm now running a 8,000 lph onn3/4 power, and that runs it much better.
my lilith have hlle at the moment, but I do seem to be beating it.
I'm now feeding them a very high dosage of vitamins using Tetra discus prima energy. I'm also feeding them only frozen bloodworm, and things seem to be improving .
eartheater3298

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 928

Previous

Return to The Fish House