On with last fish house build

Building a dedicated fish house or room, ask here

Postby eartheater3298 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:14 am

Hi all,
well, as you probably know, I closed my existing fish house down last December (2016) and took all my fish down to Wharf. I've since deliberated on what to do, because it was the weight of tanks with the wooden shed which caused the shed sides to start coming apart.
so, I'm putting g all my tanks up for sale, that I have, and am on with a rebuild.

The new fish room, will be in the garage which has a concrete floor. I've started to insulate it with 2 inch thick board, and the new fish room will house a tank, 120 x 24 x 30 inch, it's sump and 2 30 x 12 x 24 isolation tanks.

The main tank, I should get in July, the other two I have.
The main tank, will be as automated as is possible, it will hold about 374 gallons, with an additional sump tank holding 76 gallons.
I intend stocking it with, 6 Satanoperca lilith, 6 x Satanoperca acuticeps, 5 Crenicichla jegui, and 5 Crenicichla sp Xingu 3. The ph within this tank will be just below 6ph, with hopefully a dgh of around 3 dgh.
No plants, loads of bogwood, no rocks, essentially a bare tank.
any questions ask away
eartheater3298

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 928

Postby chester18 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi Gragham, glad to hear your coming back in a BIG way and glad to hear your sticking with SA especially the Satanoperca's. Just wondered if your having any sand in there so they can do there sifting as in the wild

Cheers Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chester18

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Re: On with last fish house build

Postby eartheater3298 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi Mark,
Yes mate, I will be using up all the sand that I've recaptured from my old aquariums, it should be enough to give a one inch thick base in the new tank.
I've been down to Wharf today, and ordered my new tank, it will be 120 x 24 x 30 ", in 12 mm polished glass, with a 10mm base atop of a 12 mm base, ie 22 mm base total. I've sorted out the water in and out, because I am going to use a 68 inch tank as a sump filter. It will be powered by a Eheim 5,000 lph pump, plus a Eheim large external filter, so should one stop the other will keep things turning over.
I don't think I will be having plants, but who knows.
Stock wise
Satanoperca lilith x 6 or maybe 8
Satanoperca acuticeps x 6
Crenicichla, one a batrochops and one a midwater swimmer, that hopefully won't compete
then either
A Heros species
Hoplarchus psittacus
or something else
So that's about the plan, it's coming in July, so I've a lot to do and must get on with building a stand for it, loads to think about, but I have 99% already sorted, just a case of putting it all together.

Anyway, how's u and the family, well I hope, and how's the Heckelii , well I hope
regards
graham
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Today, I've been deciding where all the electrics are going, it's surprising just how many sockets you need to run a 3 tank setup.

Also I needed to ensure I had a good quarantine tank available, so I will be using a 48 x 12 x 18 " tank, which will of course be bare. I won't of course use the quarantine tank initially, as I will hopefully get as many of the fish as I can at the same time, and introduce them all together.

Filtration is pretty basic, but good, with a tank of 68 x 15 x 18". It has a drilled hole in it (26mm), to provide a overflow to outside, and over the next few weeks I will add 4 partitions down the tank length, having, first partition for catching solids, plus holding the heaters, 2 nd partition and third will hold sponge matting to act as a mechanical filter, 4th and 5th will hold Eheim bio materiel, with the last one holding the 5,000 lph pump , with a run dry switch.
Additionaly, I will have running a 1500 lph Eheim ext filter, running alongside the pump, this will give me then two forms of filter, hopefully cutting out any fatalities should one stop.This pump will be filled with Eheim bio mech.

Both pumps will outlet into the tank above, the pump having 2 inlets into the tank, with the external filter one.
The outlet for the tank will be at the other end of the tank, and consist of a weir/comb filter, flowing out into 3 x 1.5 inch outlet pipes, all going down into the first partition of the sump tank.

Hopefully that will provide me with good water movement and good filtration. I may alter it slightly, but that's the basics.

As I'm going to keep mostly eartheaters and pikes, I intend using and maintaining a quite low ph, I think I may well run it at 5.5ph for starters, and go even lower, obviously you will realise that hardness becomes unstable at these low ph values.

I've just bought, 3 large 4ft long pieces of bogwood, which will mostly decorate the two tank ends, with one in the middle, I may use 4 x 18 inch long lengths of clay piping for the pikes to call home, again, although I'm used to pikes, dwarves will be too small and get eaten by the S.lilith, and if I get too large a species, the opposite may happen, so I'm looking for a mid range group of two separate pikes, something like C.sp Xingu 3 as a mid water swimmer, with something like Cr. Jegui or Cr. Cametana for the tank bottom, I know both are buggers, but I hope to at least give them a try again.

Lighting for the tank will be 4ft Led lights x 2, I don't want loads of light all over, and two lights should give me sufficient light, if not I will add a third, I already have 3 small 16 inch led lights which will be used as night lights.

I won't be having any plants in the tank, low ph would probably kill them off, when combined with the high temperature I intend maintaining, around 28 C.

Hardness, is something I don't want much of, my local water, once stood and airbubbled is around 3 to 4 dgh, I would like to get it down to 2gh, and intend using a couple of the large peat socks I have, to add tannins and colour to the water, and also dropping the hardness by a degree.

Water changes, will be semi auto, I have 2 X 200 liter containers catching rain water as we speak, I will use one of these every other day, probably refilling with tap water, standing and using prime to sort any nasties.

Hopefully this project will keep me going for a bit, the tank won't arrive until mid July, so I've hopefully plenty of time to build a stand and sort out everything before it does arrive.

I will keep you posted as to how the new tank works, and how I get on with the fish, the lilith are sorted, the acuticeps will be okay, it's the pikes which will cause me headaches to get, may have to go to Holland for them
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby chester18 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi Graham

Sounds like you have got some great plans there, it certainly sounds like a great project and one that I will be following with great interest. Just out of interest mate what foods will you be feeding the Satanoperca's?

And we all ok thanks mate and Heckelii doing great. Hope your both well to mate

Mark

chester18

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:48 am

Hi Mark, good to hear you are all well.
Yes, it's actually a great project, tanks coming second week July, which gives me time to build a proper stand for it, locate all the electrics, get water in and out and do the lighting.
I'm at the stage, where I'm taking all the tanks out of the shed, I have half out so far, removing all the old staging and reusing it.
That's the hard part, removing all the old staging. On my previous build the upright 3 x 2 supports where spaced roughly 2ft 6 apart over a length of 11ft 6 ins, I'm now reusing those over a length of 10 ft, but closer together at around 16 inch apart. The previous build supported 2 X 68 inch tanks well, so I see no reason why the tanks can't be supported over a decreased length, but increased width.
Pump wise, at the moment I'm going for a Eheim 5,000 lph pu,p, with a 2 year guarantee, however, I would prefer 2 x3000 lph pumps, I will have to dig deeper to source them.

So, I'm on with things, plan is tank in July, off for more caravanning, get back early Sept, fill tank, run it and make sure it's okay, before fish arrive end Sept, hope it all works out
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:37 pm

Got all tanks emptied, except for the last two. I'm stacking them inside the shed, so anyone who wants to buy one can see what their getting.
I've also got two tank stands , which are about 4ft 6 to the top and 50 inch long, these will each take 3 tanks. All metal, look pretty good.
It's all to do, but I'm getting there
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Well, yet another change of plan. I have two hobbys, and the second one is Garden Railway. I have a small layout inside my garage, alongside my new fish tank space.
On Tuesday of this week,, I was told I could have a larger space in the clubhouse, to put my railway in, this of course, now makes the garage empty.
Once you add in factors like space for the lawnmower etc, I'm left with a usable fish house space, about 14ft x 10 ft. So I'm going to put more tanks back in, probably about 6 or 8 in total.
I can't start on this until next Tuesday, when I take my railway boards to their new home, then I'm away for a fortnight, so it's going to be a bit of time before I will be able to see much, however I'm on with it.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby chester18 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi Graham

You not bothering having just the one large tank then anymore. I would have thought it would be much easier for you to maintain just the one.

Possibly could even go larger now, that's gotta be worth thinking about mate

chester18

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:37 am

Hi Mark,
Yes, I think 6 tanks in total will be about right. That's the 10 ft, with a 4 ft on one side, 2 X 66", plus one 48 on the other, and a quarantine tank across the bottom, I reckon I can cope with that.
graham
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Next

Return to The Fish House