External Thermostat

From filters to backgrounds, tell us all about it here

External Thermostat

Postby Paul F » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:24 am

Just wondering if anyone knows what's available nowadays in external controllers for aquarium heaters? I've been using an Algarde Digitherm for many years but unfortunately they're no longer available. My current one still controls the heaters perfectly but the internal (non-replaceable) battery now causes it to lose the temperature settings when I disconnect its power supply during water changes.

I've seen the Aqua Medic T advertised but I've heard it doesn't constantly display the tank temperature, ie. you have to press a button to get this reading. And I've seen the Habistat vivarium product which looks great, if a little more elaborate than I actually need, and although the thermostat's sensor is described as waterproof I'm not convinced it's designed for permanent submersion. Other than that there seems to be a product called the STC 1000 generally available but I'm not convinced it's suitable for aquarium use.
Paul F

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Re: External Thermostat

Postby chris h » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:42 am

I don't know if they are still available but see my reply on Equipment - Re-heater with seperate thermostat - December 2012
chris
chris h

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 284

Postby stormbird » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:29 am

the habistats work fine submersed, they are designed to be waterproof so that they can be operated in vivariums with wet areas for amphibians
stormbird

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 593

Postby Paul F » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:41 pm

Thanks guys. Just looked back at the older discussion Chris. Yes I had seen the S.Cumberland one mentioned but I'd eliminated that one on account of it not having a display showing a reading of the actual tank temperature. It was this that alerted me to the problem with my Digitherm and gave me the chance to rectify it. I can't believe there isn't more available for the aquarium hobby and that so many people are prepared to rely on the bimetallic strip in their heater/stats and to painstakingly fiddle with the controls to get two heaters in a large tank synchronised.
Paul F

Forum Member

Postby roger » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:10 am

You can certainly get them, but I don't know of a UK stockist. I can get you one from my wholesaler but it might take a while - they have to come from the far east. There are some listed on ebay Germany but they aren't cheap.
Roger Sleet
Ornoco Aquatics http://www.orinoco-aquatics.co.uk
roger

Committee: Treasurer

BCA Membership Number: 136

Postby Paul F » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:21 pm

I've plumped for the Aqua Medic T as it looks like the neatest solution. But thanks everyone for your input.
Paul F

Forum Member

Postby Paul F » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:07 pm

Been set up and running now for several days and I'm pleased with it. It comes with generous cable lengths and the temperature sensor is a dinky little thing that is easy to mount unobtrusively in the tank. What's more - it's bang on accurate according to my clinical thermometer. The only thing I'm a bit disappointed about is the control precision. The minimum setting is 1 deg. C. So if you set the tank temperature to 25 deg. C the heater cuts off at this temperature but then doesn't switch back on until the temp falls to 24 deg. My fish don't seem to mind but I'd worry if I didn't have such strong water movement because the heaters are then on for such a long time when it triggers to heat again. A good feature is the alarm that you can set to a specific number of degrees either side of your chosen temperature, although it might never trigger for me cos' I've purposely gone for a two heater setup.
Paul F

Forum Member

Postby dfinn » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi,

I use an STC 1000 on my planted tank wired up to a Hydor external, works a treat!

Dan
dfinn

Forum Member

Return to Equipment