wave maker 240L, cichlids

From filters to backgrounds, tell us all about it here

wave maker 240L, cichlids

Postby sharki9 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Hi,

I'm new so not sure if I posted in the correct place

I set up a new fish tank 240L "fluval roma 240" I have fluval 305 external filter and read on internet that you can improve water flow with wave makers, my output from the filter is on the right side on the back and its pointing left so I wanted the wave maker on the left side pointing right, just don't know where I should position it on top of the tank or bottom, on the back corner pointing directly at the filter, or close to the front glass if the filter is on the back but again on top or bottom ? my corals are position in the middle of the tank so not touching the back glass and front so they can swim around and have lots of places to hide,

the second question is if this is not too powerful for my 240L tank, (5000 L/H)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... ge_o01_s00

I was hoping to position it so the waste is directed to towards the filter so I don't need to move corals all the time to clean it, at the same time the flow should improve so I don't have dead spots.

thanks
sharki9

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Re: wave maker 240L, cichlids

Postby stormbird » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:17 pm

the topic title says wave maker cichlids , and then there's talk of corals so I'm confused ! Wave makers certainly are used in marine systems to increase flows , but perhaps you should give a few more details about the fish you intend to keep and the set up that you are intending to have for them ?
stormbird

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 593

Postby sharki9 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:54 am

corals are something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20KG-OCEAN-RO ... 2eb5b876ea

to raise a pH of water for cichlids,

so I have fresh water tank, with 15 cichlids and one blood parrot (which came from my old tank) , the tank is 240L and bought wave maker which was 5000 L/H, so wanted to find out if this won't be too powerful for my size tank,

but I received it now and I will be returning it as its very noisy and I can hear and feel vibration on the tank glass, no point having nice and quiet filter if wave maker is very noisy ... need to find something quiet

the one I bought was this one and had a good reviews
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerhead-All-P ... ds=wm-5000

I wanted it mainly to make a water movement to eliminate any possible dead spots between my corals / rocks however you call it, as don't want to move them and redesign every time I do water change, I made them a lot of hiding places.
sharki9

Forum Member

Postby stormbird » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:17 pm

so I have fresh water tank

Not sure what you mean by a "freshwater tank " as fish(Cichlids ) from different regions require different water conditions both in hardness/ softness and in water movement . So ideally you need to look at and discuss what fish your trying to keep . And before you tell us too much the man made parrot fish are considered something of a swear word on here !
As for using Ocean rock to harden the water I think you'll find it has minimal effect and that you'd be better looking at some of the numerous topics on here that discuss water hardness .
As for wanting to eliminate detritus collecting behind rockwork the best way is to have the return from a filter positioned low down in the tank , behind the rock work . It does not need to be very powerfull otherwise it will defeat the object of the rockwork in providing hiding places for the fish , remembering that many aquarium fish do not inhabit rapid flowing water in nature
stormbird

BCA Member

Postby sharki9 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:29 pm

"And before you tell us too much the man made parrot fish are considered something of a swear word on here !"

this is my old fish which we bought 5 years ago before I started reading about cichlids, now when I start reading about them I read about the "hybrid" etc ...

"As for wanting to eliminate detritus collecting behind rockwork the best way is to have the return from a filter positioned low down in the tank"

you mean the output from the filter ? if I position it low down woudn't that limit the amount of oxygen by moving the top of the water ? if you mean input the long pipe I already have it fairly low down

"freshwater tank " - what I meant is that this is not marine tank as you were confused with corals, as I said I just started this setup so I'm fairly new to it so my terminology is not perfect, and english is not my first language :P, before I only had a blood parrot and red fin shark.
sharki9

Forum Member

Postby stormbird » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:12 pm

there are several options
you could just have the return from the filter low down in the tank . However as you say that would mean no surface agitation . You could do what I've done with one of the fiter returns on my marine system and that is to split the return so that it feeds water in at 2 levels . Alernatively you could
a) use a small powerhead to either provide some extra flow either high or low depending on how you arrange the return from the external filter
b)have the external filter return lowdown and get an air pump to add air to the tank

As for your fish, mixing cichlids with different water requirements , is not recommended . As you mention hardening the water that suggests either rift valley cichlids or Central Americans but ideally the diferent groups require different conditions , and even with Malawi's they can be split into 2 groups due to their different habitat & behaviour ! Which is why when asking for help it is best to explain what your attempting to keep so that the best advice can be given
stormbird

BCA Member

Postby sharki9 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:33 pm

I got one tanganika rest malawi and one blood parrot
sharki9

Forum Member

Postby stormbird » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:53 pm

sharki9 wrote:I got one tanganika rest malawi and one blood parrot

ideally the tang needs water with a higher pH to that for the Malawi's . also depending on what species you have diet may or may not be a problem ,depending on whether they are herbivores or omnivores
stormbird

BCA Member

Postby Dirk » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:03 am

Hi Sharki9. In case this is still of interest to you. There are many opinions on filtration, filter brands, rocks, sand stocking etc etc. Here is what worked for me so far in my Roma 240l tank. My fish are constantly breeding and I never had a sick fish which is good enough to me as confirmation.

You might want to consider a second filter in addition or instead of the wave maker. Initially I started with 2 x Fluval 306 filters. I now have 3 yellow labs and 13 Demansoni as well as a few other fish and IMO one 306 alone would not do the job sufficiently without additional water changes on top of the 50% water change I do every week. If you want to overstock your tank it is worth thinking about how large the second filter should be. The Bio media in 2x306 should be sufficient but the mechanical filtration could become a challenge. This could impact water quality.

I recently upgraded one of the 306 to an Eheim 2075 as well as a wave maker. Since the upgrade I have seen improvements in water conditions mainly due to the Eheim offering much better mechanical filtration and flow rate compared to the 306. There are many other filters our there which are doing a fine job, too. I have one filter outlet in each corner. Inlets are both on the right, one pointing up and one down. Wave maker on the left pointing down diagonally. I decorated the tank with lime stone and there are always dead spots regardless what I am trying to do. The fish are quite happy with the water movement which is not too strong.

Not sure about the Ph buffering quality of the lime stone or coral and decoration is personal choice. I started with Holey Rock and changed to Lime Stone eventually which is cheaper and made it easier to maintain the tank. My tank seems to settle at about Ph7 with the water and set up I have available. Since I started adding a tea spoon of bicarbonate soda to each water bucket when I make the water changes this has gone up to a fairly stable Ph7.8 to Ph8
Dirk

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 1

Return to Equipment