At Wharf Aquatics yesterday

Found something interseting in your local outlet, post here

At Wharf Aquatics yesterday

Postby eartheater3298 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:53 am

Went to above outlet yesterday and saw the following fish

Crenicichla lugubris, separated divider pair at £130 for pair

A large male Gymnogeophagus balzanii at £30

A nice selection of Cichla and Geophagines at various prices.

Grahan
eartheater3298

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 928

Re: At Wharf Aquatics yesterday

Postby Tomk2u » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:27 am

I got a pair of WC geophagus winemilleri from wharf love the place I go most weekends got my Rays from there to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tomk2u

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Postby Tomk2u » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:27 am

And one of the few places I trust for advice to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tomk2u

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Postby eartheater3298 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:23 pm

Yes your pretty much right about Wharf Aquatics, I got some old tanks from them years ago, specially built, and am going down to collect 3 more this Thursday.

Richard is a very knowledgeable guy who knows quite a bit about what's been kept, I've never had a problem with anything I've bought from there.

Graham
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby grummie2 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi Graham. Did the dwarf pikes settle in ok?
grummie2

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi grummie

Yes mate both lots of pikes have settled in fine.

I've been waiting to get some new tanks going and only managed to sort them out today.

The 4 pairs of pikes are living in temporary accommodation at the moment, in a 4 ft tank, with a divider keeping the notophalumus on one side and the regani on the other, probably tommorow I should be able to move them into a 4ft for each species

At the moment they are avidly eating their way through 4 feedings a day of artemia, bloodworm and FD tubifex.

Are you going to get any, they are nice fish.

Going out next Saturday to collect 3 pairs of C.compressiceps, S. Leucosticta and S. Jurupari

Hopefully the week after I should see either C.marmoratus, lenticulata or reticulata. I will only have 2 6ft tanks, so will have to make a decision, I'm also still very interested in the C sp. Atabapo that Wharf have in.

Graham
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby grummie2 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:18 pm

Glad they've settled in ok ! They are quite tough fish, and great feeders; you should have them up to size and breeding in no time! I'm very tempted by them, I was particularly taken by the notophthalmus, the colour on the females was beautiful! You'll soon have quite a collection by the looks of it, they're a fascinating group of fish and quite a challenge in several ways!
grummie2

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi Grummie,

Yes, should soon have all the Dwarf pikes I want, still on the lookout for C. Wallacii and urosema, and also some different species of Cr regani

I've kept and bred some fantastic pikes over the years.

I'm using my old method of keeping a single Dwarf pike species with a Satanoperca in the same tank.

I'm going to get some more large pikes too. Probably in the new year will go on a fish trip to Holland and try to get some Cr. Cametana , percna and or tigrinis I've had the first two before, and learnt a lot from keeping them and fancy another try. I will once again look for a SA cichlid to go in with the large pikes, probably something like Hoplarchus psittacus or both the Uaru species. One of the more difficult fish that I've kept,Hoplarchus, I had mine to 9 inch and they battered he'll out of each other, and that was in a 6ft x 2ft X 2ft 6 inch tank, good job I had plenty of spare room.

What fish do you keep

Graham
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Went to Wharf again on Monday 21 Dec 2015.

They have some nice S.daemon in, can't remember price but they are about 3 inch t.l.

Also had some nice C. Ompressiceps in around 2 inch sl

Graham
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Postby eartheater3298 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:00 am

Well, went to Wharf again last Saturday, the main object of the exercise was to pick up a 68 x 15 x 18 inch tank.

I gave Wayne a hand to lift the tank in, I have a Mercedes ML, and it just fitted into it, even the dog had to move over a bit.

I also picked up two Eheim powerhead 650 pumps for use in a rheophilic tank for my Retroculus, some Promin cichlid granules, some bloodworm flake food, not tried this before, will see if they like it,,and two Amazonas magazines, what a great read these are.

It's now Tuesday am, I got the tank in and set up with the help of future son in law, and my group of 10 Satanoperca lilith are in, with just two more to catch, bringing what I have to twelve.
Today I going to add 6 Crenicichla notopthalmus , which are now adult, both these species require low ph water, so down it will go, probably to about 5.5ph, I think it will make a lovely tank.

Wayne makes some superb tanks you know, he showed me a marine set up he was making for someone, fantastic, the tank looked about 2 meters long, and had 3 giant glass filters to go with it, fantastic.
eartheater3298

Forum Member

Next

Return to On Your Travels....