STICKY** How to enter fish into a BCA auction??

STICKY** How to enter fish into a BCA auction??

Postby ste12000 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Entering your fish for sale in a BCA auction is a thrilling and exciting way to clear some tankspace and earn some cash at the same time! Many people enter fish into club auctions up and down the country and there is a certain way we do this. I clearly remember entering my first auction and i am all to aware that it is a daunting and nerve racking time, if you have never done it before its a steep learning curve! Im here to help and have added this guide to help you see its not overly difficult and infact quite easy once you have done it a few times.

First you need to contact the booking in officer(BCA committee member) to get your auction form and rule sheet, simply fill out your name at the top and then add the name of the fish for sale in the description section, if the bag contains more than one fish then list the amount of fish sold eg. Gold angelfish x 5 will be one bag of 5 gold angels..

Then in the no of items section simply add how many lots entered, this is usually 1.. Finally set a reserve price that will be the minimum you expect for your fish, the trick with this is to set it so that you dont get too low a price if only one person bids but also not too high that it puts people off buying. A good guideline is around £2.50 - £3 per bag, if it contains something special and valuble price it accordingly. The trick is to get several people bidding for your item, prices can go up with competition!!!! And on desirable fish there is usually lots of interest and a bit of competition!! You should make good money on your fish! Most auctions allow upto 5-6 bags of the same fish but be aware that its easy to flood a auction with one species and not attract a good price! think about things and you may make more by entering only two bags at a higher price rather than 6 bags at a lower price! Fish like convicts and kribs are good examples of fish that sometimes flood auctions and usually only attract low prices!

When you have filled in the form send it back to the booking in officer who will alocate you your own auctions lot numbers, then you are good to go.
Between now and the day of the auction you will need to source plenty of good strong fish bags of the correct size for the fish offered, you also need a polystyrene box to enter your fish in and speaking to your local retailer will find a offer of a box and maybe even bags, my local shop let me take as many boxes as i like free of charge because it saves them getting rid of them!

The next stage is the day of the auction, make a early start and bag up your fish in clean pre warmed water, i fill a bucket with 'new' clean water the night before, either add a heater or keep it in a place that it will be the right temp by morning! this water is then perfect to bag up your fish, adding tank water can add unneccesary pollutants to the fishbag, remember that they need more oxygen than water so a third water to 2/3 air is a good ratio. Tie the bags tightly and trap as much oxygen as you can, then turn the bag upside down and insert it into a second bag and tie this one tightly, this ensures the corners are rounded off and the fish are well bagged enough to last upto 24 hours if needs be. With practice it is possible to get the bags nice and tight, if your bag is still 'Squishy' after tying then please tape the corners and have the bag as tight as possible, its better for the fish and makes a better impression on the buyer who has just paid his hard earned cash to purchase your fish!
It go's without saying that all fish should be fit and healthy, please do not use the auction to clear the old cichlid that is on its last legs or the fish thats riddled with whitespot or other problems, sell fish of the quality that you would expect to buy them and we will all be happy! The fish may well be in bags for upto 12 hours so your job is to bag them well enough to survive the journey, tropical fish and especially cichlids are quite hardy but lets strive to make the packing as good as it possibly can be!

On the bag you will need either a printed sticky label or a peice of paper selotaped on that contains clearly written Lot number, species name, reserve price and any other relevant information.. This lets the auctioneer see exactly what fish are in the bag, how many and what price to start bidding..I personally add my water conditions as i think its polite to give the new owner as much info as possible, remember there is nothing wrong with doing things differently to everyone else, as long as its sensible and the fishes wellfare is taken into account we will welcome any useful info on the bag! Some people even go as far as sticking pictures of the adult fish to the bag to give a idea of the potential of the dull brown juveniles in the bag!!

The auctioneer and booking in table will sell your fish and collect your money for you, the final price is written down and totted up at the end, the BCA takes out 10% auction fee and the rest is paid to you in cash.. its usually enough to pay for your entrance fee, dinner and drinks and even your travelling expenses if your lucky and sell enough fish!!

Goodluck and please seriously think about entering your fish into a upcoming BCA event! its the breeders and fishkeepers that make these auctions viable, and without you guys the auctions will cease to exist in future years!!!!!
ste12000

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Return to BCA Announcements