lake victoria breeding

The place to discuss the cichlids of Lake Victoria and its satellite lakes

lake victoria breeding

Postby monkeyvest83 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:14 pm

hi i just woke up to relise my lake victoria female has eggs in her mouth and im new to fish keeping and dont know what i need to do ... i would like the babys to be born
monkeyvest83

Forum Member

BCA Membership Number: 0

Re: lake victoria breeding

Postby Andrew W » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:19 pm

monkeyvest83 wrote:hi i just woke up to relise my lake victoria female has eggs in her mouth and im new to fish keeping and dont know what i need to do ... i would like the babys to be born

Congratulations!

To help we will need to know what other fish you have (along with the type of fish that is breeding!) in the tank and the size of tank you have them all in (and how it is decorated), from there we can make an educated guess on the chance of survival of the youngsters if you leave them in there. Or failing that the various options that might be open to you.

Andrew
Andrew W

BCA Member

BAP Points: 1
BCA Membership Number: 102

Postby monkeyvest83 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:32 pm

i have
1x male yellow lab
1x female yellow
1x powder blue
1x parrot fish
2 x plecs
2 x chameleons
2x male lake Victoria Malawi
1 x female Victoria Malawi the one with eggs
but i did buy a new tank last night that has 2 breeding angels in it that i hope to re home in a few days so i will have a big empty tank.
i have loads live plants caves immutation tree trunk cave a tree branch that the yellow lad male dug a pit under
my tank is about 130 liter.
monkeyvest83

Forum Member

Postby Graham » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:50 pm

What species is the Lake Victoria. There are a few hundred different species in the lake although far fewer in the hobby. Nonetheless, there are a few different species they could be. Lots of hybrids around too unfortunately.

I'm afraid I'd be very, very suspicious of any simply sold as 'lake victorian cichlid' and off the chart suspicious at any sold as 'Lake Victoria Malawi'. If you bought them as a job lot though it could be that the seller has just forgotten the name (a tank with angels and a parrot fish in with rift lake cichlids doesn't inspire confidence in said seller).

Perhaps if you could post a photo someone on the forum could take a stab at identifying them. If they are breeding it would be good to know what they really are in case you want to sell the young on.
Graham
Graham

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 201

Postby monkeyvest83 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:30 pm

the parrot fish is in with the others the angels are alone in separate tank.
unsure how to add pics? Haplochromis obliquidens but ive search and flame back hope this helps.
ive been closely looking at the female this morning and def has eggs in her mouth "does that mean there fertilized"
monkeyvest83

Forum Member

Postby Graham » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:51 pm

A fair chance they're fertile. If not she is likely to swallow them in the next few days. Otherwise they will hatch soon enough and after a couple weeks more you should have free swimming fry. If you want to rear the fry you will need to separate her from the rest of the fish before she spits them or strip her of the fry before she spits.
Graham
Graham

BCA Member

BCA Membership Number: 201

Return to Lake Victoria